Charles Chips was started by Effie Musser in 1942. She sold potato chips through a distributor who packaged them in tin cans. They were named after Charles Street in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1991 the company was sold and went bankrupt 18 months later. It was then acquired by another company in 1993 and also went bankrupt 18 months later. The brand was bought in 2011 now sell them from their website.